Menu

Pathiya Samayal Recipes #7 | Murungaikkai Rasam | Drumstick Rasam

murungaikkai rasam

I remember this soup very well.. From the fifth month of my pregnancy, I used to take a lot and lot of soups.. Especially to get good iron and calcium.. This soup is one among them.. I am not a fan of drumstick and all.. I don't like the smell and taste.. So initially I was thinking too much to make this soup.. Late, I convinced myself and made this as per my mom's instructions.. Yup, it was good.. I could have a bowl of soup without hatred (lol).. I made it very often and had it in my food diet.. This is really a tasty Indian style soup..

This soup is a post pregnancy dish, which helps lactation.. This can be taken by breast feeding women, as it is a good source of calcium..It is rich in Iron and Calcium.. This is an Indian style post pregnancy recipe to include in your diet.. You can also add this kind of soup in your weight loss diet plan and make it more interesting..



Murungaikkai Rasam | Drumstick Rasam | Pathiya Samayal

Prep Time :
Cook Time:
murungaikkai rasam
Yield:
3 cups
Svg Size:
1 cup

Average Rating:
5 for 5
Calories per Serving:
70
Posted By:
Cuisine:
Tamilnadu


Ingredients
  • 2 young drumsticks
  • small piece of tamarind
  • salt
  • little oil

to coarsely grind
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 5 pepper corns
  • 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1/4 tsp cumin or seerakam
  • curry leaves
  • a pinch of turmeric
  • a pinch of asafoetida or kayam

Quick Procedure
  • Cut drumsticks to pieces. Boil some water and add salt. Add the drumstick pieces and cook till they become soft. If you wish, you can pressure cook for 3 whistles.
  • Scratch the pieces with a spoon and remove the flesh to a separate plate. Collect the water separately. You may throw out the hard part.
  • Take the ingredients given under grinding in a blender.. Grind it coarsely.
  • Heat very little oil. Add the ground mix and coriander leaves. Saute twice.. Its time to add drumstick water.
  • Add the very small strip of tamarind.. Let everything boil well..
  • After it boils well, remove the tamarind with a ladle..
  • Add drumstick flesh to the boiling soup.. Switch off the flame..
  • This Iron and Calcium rich soup can be served hot..

Stepwise Pictures

Cut drumsticks to pieces. Boil some water and add salt.
prep

Add the drumstick pieces and cook till they become soft. If you wish, you can pressure cook for 3 whistles.
prep

Scratch the pieces with a spoon and remove the flesh to a separate plate. Collect the water separately. You may throw out the hard part
prep

Take the ingredients given under grinding in a blender.. Grind it coarsely. Heat very little oil.
prep

Add the ground mix and coriander leaves. Saute twice.. Its time to add drumstick water.
prep

Add the very small strip of tamarind (as it is pathiyam, add very less).. After it boils well, remove the tamarind with a ladle.. Add drumstick flesh to the boiling soup.. Switch off the flame..
prep


This Iron and Calcium rich soup can be served hot..
murungaikkai rasam

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comment. It makes me happy. It helps to improve myself. Please be polite and pleasant, while commenting !!

Author

authorHi. This is Sabari. I am the author of this blog. You can check out my weight loss story and more about me here.
Learn More →